Friday, June 20, 2008

It's been one crazy week, that's all I can say!!

I (Julie) am doing much better now, physically & emotionally. Those first few days after finding out about the miscarriage, I did not want to talk to anyone (except Brett, of course). But after about 3-4 days, I started answering my phone again and getting back into a somewhat normal routine. I found out that it was actually helpful for me to talk to people about everything.

Unfortunately, I've had a pretty bad experience with my doctor's office and plan on finding another OBGYN as soon as all this is over (mainly stuff like them not calling me with results when they said they would, one nurse telling me something and another telling me the opposite, etc). All that to say...I still don't know if my body has fully discarded of everything and I'm now having to wait until Monday to see what the next step is. One thing I do know for sure is that my hCG level (a hormone produced during pregnancy) is definitely dropping, which is a really good sign. From my own limited understanding of things, it appears that my body is doing what it is supposed to do, so hopefully I will not be having a D&C (but like I said, I should know more from my doctor on Monday).

Brett has been SO amazing and supportive through all of this. He has loved me and served me and comforted me and prayed with/for me, etc. every step of the way (despite his own painful issue going on , which I'm about to tell you about). What a wonderful husband and friend!!!!! I can't even begin to imagine what this would have been like without him. I'm so very grateful!

So let me tell you about our other "excitement"...
5:20am on Wednesday morning Brett woke up with a very uncomfortable feeling in his lower back, right side. By 6am, he was in excruciating pain. By 6:25, we were at the ER. They fairly quickly diagnosed it as kidney stones. He was given morphine for the pain, which thankfully kicked in very fast. His CT scan showed that he has 4 or 5 more stones, but they said they're small enough that he shouldn't feel them pass. So after several hours, we were dismissed from the hospital and went home. Brett was quite drugged up and slept for a good bit of the day, which he really needed! He has continued to stay on his meds and is doing much better now. He received quite a bit of sympathy from nurses and hospital staff . Apparently, passing a kidney stone is comparable to the pain experienced during labor (or like "peeing barbed wire" as one of the doctors so kindly informed us). Brett said it was, by far, the most painful thing he has ever had to go through. Hopefully, all that excitement is over and done with!!!

There were a few other stressful events during the week as well...locking our keys in our car, several nights in a row with little sleep, Emma being tested for cystic fibrosis (which came back negative, PTL!!), all the miscommunication with & unpleasant visits to my doctor's office, etc. Let's just say we're REALLY looking forward to the weekend. Brett's mom came in town yesterday to visit and help us with Emma. We are excited about getting some good, long naps in and having a fun date night together. Sue, Emma, and I, (assuming I get the "okay" from the doctor on Monday) will be going to TX on Tuesday for a few days. It will be a fairly quick trip to see our family. Then Brett will be taking some vacation days the first of July and we will get to spend some more time in TX seeing family & friends. We're so excited about that!! Thank you all SO MUCH again for your prayers and encouragement through all of this. We are so very grateful for each of you!!! :o)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Julie...so glad things are better. Yall have had a rough time. Just wondering....getting Emma tested for cystic fibrosis....was she having some sort of problems, or was it a routine thing??? Really curious? Let me know.
Kelly

Crystal said...

I enjoy reading your updates and keeping track of you guys. I am so sorry for your loss, and I know God can sustain you through this hurt and grief. We are praying for healing in each situation.

Crystal Summers